Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Fett Boy will live again!

Yes, I REALLY liked that name. So, I'm taking Lee's suggestion and will rebuild it using paper, plastic, foam, or whatever. I think I will reassemble the nose section and keep it as an option just because I like it too. The new one will also slip over the main body and will be sized to be closer to scale.

I am kicking around how to trim it. Having rejected cut up sticker material and computer drawn home made stickers, I'm thinking I may actually hand paint it. If I use a computer and it looks bad then I will be sad. Very sad! But if I do it by hand, it might be cartoonish looking. If not, back to the drawing board, so to speak.

I'm also thinking about building a backpack instead of painting one on. I have an idea for some of the parts...if I can find where they went and if they fit the small tubes I bought for MicroMaxx. This may not be scale and may even be trimmed in an alternate color scheme.

Monday, August 21, 2017

Mercury Redstoned flight report

If you read yesterday's launch report, you'd know that this canted-motor, rear-ejection oddroc flew successfully. It looks like adding a lug at the same station as the motors did the trick. This is one thing that all my other forward motor oddrocs have in common. Someone at the launch pointed out that having the lug(s) on standoffs could have exacerbated the binding that doomed the first flight. I had considered removing the standoff since it isn't needed with the replacement cone. However, since it is mostly white foam, I thought there was a chance a third cone might be required. And who knows what that might have been.

I slowed down the movie as much as Widows' Movie Maker would allow. I didn't capture the ejection event because I lost it in the Sun. It recovered successfully, and that's all that counts in that regard.

Redstoned Movie

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Launch Report 2017-7 (MDRA)

Location: Central Sod Farm, ESL-229
Weather: sunny; low 80s; wind 0-5 
Total flights: Today - 6; YTD - 30
Total motors: Today - 9; YTD - 37
Motors by class YTD:  A-1; B-3; C-17; D-3; E-4; F-3; G-5; I-1


This was a near perfect launch day. Despite a couple of igniter issues, I got all my planned flights in. Could have flown more.
  1. Landshark on a G125-7 - CR@200' - Nice flight.
  2. Hat of Death on a G74 -  Great flight, got cheers from the crowd.
  3. Mercury Redstoned on 4xC6-5 - Redemption! The added lug did the trick. There is a video in my photo album (accessible below).
  4. Shai Hulud on a G74-6 - CR@200' - Nice flight.
  5. NewWay Mini Higgs Farm Rocket on a C11-3 - I finally got to drag race Tom and Bob. Now, who won?
  6. NewWay Mini Higgs Farm Rocket on a D12-5 - Nice flight. 
MDRA ESL 229

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Recycle, Reuse, Rebuild

I have partially disassembled two rockets - the Fett Boy and the Not-a-MIRV.

Fett Boy - man, I sure liked that name. Although it can fly at MDRA, I decided that it uses too much structural metal that is only required for flight if you just have to fly a Bobba Fett bank. (I still think it is safer than a pointy fiberglass rocket, with or without an aluminum tipped nose cone.) The Not-a-MIRV flew OK but the main thing I liked was the triple tube ejection. So, both will be recycled and reused.

P1330067

When disassembling the Fett's nose cone, I found my missing 8" ballistic drogue. I forgot that I attached it to the lead-weighted nose section, which I didn't want coming down by itself on a hard ejection. That's what I get for not launching it for many months after I built it.

So, I have the Fat-Boy body section and the slip-on shoulder from the nose section. I can either mount some other odd item on the latter, make an upscale Fat Boy, or....

20170815_152411

So far on the Not-a-MIRV, I have merely chopped the two parts apart. I may separate these parts with a central rod or...

Now, what to chop up next?


Friday, July 28, 2017

Shai Hulud makeover

My Shai Hulud (a 'desert squid' style rocket) suffered two broken arms/fins/dowels on its fifth flight. I had the forethought to make the dowels removable so they could be easily replaced.  It always had some wiggle on the way up and could have benefitted from longer dowels and maybe a little more angle on them. I didn't have any other projects on the bench so I decided to go in a totally different direction. I decided to retrofit it with a leftover set of Partizon fins and cut the dowels from about 16" to 6".

Before:

20141012_114046

And, after:

20170728_144133

I now have to decide how I want to finish it. I'm tired of the brown body and am thinking about a silver metallic for the legs. That's as far as I've got.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Mercury Redstoned rework

I have added a forward launch lug and have selected a new nosecone. I will rename it for the flight card but will keep the old name in tags, folders, etc to keep the variants together.

20170725_103624

Here is what I considered (L-to-R):
  1. Plastic Frankenstein head. The name would be Mercury Fankenstone. I liked the name but it was a bit small.
  2. Soft foam cone that I made for a boink water rocket. If history repeats itself, a squishy cone might be a good thing. However, it is a bit big and would require even more launch lug work. Plus, if history repeats itself, this is going in the trash bin.
  3. Harder foam cone with a plastic tip, also made for a water rocket. It was never used. It fit well and I liked the look. It isn't well finished but seems to fit this oddroc well enough. It might be damaged even on a nominal recovery. Oh well, there are other options after this.
  4. A plastic Apollo LEM that I build for some reason.  I decided there were too many small pieces that would be guaranteed to break off even if the flight was otherwise successful.
So, this was my selection:

20170725_114001